Goji berries, chia seeds, coconut oil, kale and quinoa are to name a few that have been branded superfoods in the recent years. Promising to be cancer protecting, immune boosting, protection against heart disease and helping burn more fat. They are expensive! 6 times more expensive than the alternatives.
Here is a list of cheaper alternatives to try out that and they offer the same health benefits:
- Coconut oil Rapesead oil or vegetable oil
- Chia seeds Pumpkin, sunflower or sesame seeds
- Kale Cabbage or spring greens
- Goji berries Frozen summer fruits
- Quinoa Pearl barley
A few other foods that have claim to protect against heart disease and some cancers are:
- Eggs – high in protein, vitamin A, D, E, K, B6 and B12 and inexpensive.
- Oily fish (salmon, mackerel and sardiens)- high in protein, omega-3 and vitamin D and B.
- Blueberries- high in fiber, vitamins K and C and also high in antioxidants.
I like to tell my clients that food is like Batman and exercise like Robin; no matter how much exercise you do if your diet is not balanced and controlled you will struggle to meet your health goals. Not sure if you are getting a good balanced diet and would like to have a food analysis done please get in touch. Fit + Fabulous will deconstruct your current diet and offer healthier suggestion to help you achieve your goal.